Pondering Minstrel

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

WANNA GET LUCKY? HEAD TO THE AIRPORT

Since mid-September, the TSA has increased pat-downs and body searches of female passengers. The increased security is in response to two Russian planes that were destroyed by a terrorist attack. Russian officials believe that the act was carried out by two women with non-metallic explosives, but they do not know how the explosives got on the plane.

Female passengers have complained that the searches are humiliating. Women have been patted down, and then asked to remove their shirts, in plain view of the other passengers waiting to pass the security checkpoint. Airport security will then run their hands under the bra, pat down the groin area, etc.
Patti LuPone, the singer and actress, recalled, she was instructed to remove articles of clothing. "I took off my belt; I took off my clogs; I took off my leather jacket," she said. "But when the screener said, 'Now take off your shirt,' I hesitated. I said, 'But I'll be exposed.' " When she persisted in her complaints, she said, she was barred from her flight.
One woman referred to it as a public breast exam.

Women in the airline industry state that the numbers of complaints reported to the TSA reflect severe underreporting of the problem.
"Routinely, my breasts are being cupped, my behind is being felt," Ms. Chekowsky said. "And I feel I can't fight it. If I were to say anything, I picture myself being shipped off to Guantánamo."...

Most of the women interviewed said they did not make formal complaints, most saying that they assumed it would be futile to do so. Ms. Maurer said she and some other women she had spoken to are wary of complaining in writing, both because of the presumed futility and from fear of being singled out when they travel in the future.

"There is this thing about putting your name out there," she said. "Am I going to end up on some kind of list?"
I believe in equality for women in all aspects of life, but haven't these people heard of getting a room? If they asked a hot guy to take off his pants at the security checkpoint, yes, I may want to look, but I could understand if they got a room or a privacy screen and I had to wait. Now I have to lose weight before I hit the airport so people aren't subjected to my jelly roll.

If you want to report a problem, you can contact the TSA online, via email (TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov) or toll-free at (866) 289-9673.