Pondering Minstrel

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

WINDOWS XP SP2 aka PIT OF DESPAIR

Well, Microsoft did it again. Another "cure" that's worse than the disease. My new HP Pavilion arrived on Friday, and being a good Netizen, I decide it's probably prudent to get all the new security patches from Microsoft since MS is hacker heaven. Without thinking, I download XP Home Edition SP2.

Being out of the upgrade/patch loop for some time, I was caught unawares, not realizing that SP2 is a very recent SP. Immediately, my CD recording software that came with the computer is no longer available. Then my burner had trouble performing other actions, like reading previously burned CDs.

I had to tell myself to stay calm. It's not difficult for me to resolve any problems I run into on my PC, but I hate having to perform major fixes. It especially pissed me off that Microsoft still hasn't fixed their problem of putting out CRAP PATCHES! AND SP2 isn't very secure, to boot, or re-boot as the case may be. Really people!

Since at least as far back as Windows 95, MS patches and service packs had to be tested before they were deployed. Microsoft, if you haven't figured it out yet, consumers shouldn't have to test patches before they apply them so their computers won't fry. Many people, and companies, haven't tested any patches or packs in the recent past because the security vulnerabilities were so severe, they dare not hesitate applying fixes. Arg!

Anyway, I tried going back in time with a System Restore, but that didn't get rid of the patch. I decided it would be just as easy to do a complete System Recovery as it would be to attempt to uninstall SP2, and probably less messy too.

Some are so annoyed by SP2 and Microsoft, they're switching to Linux, which isn't a half-bad idea, except that a lot of programs I use aren't available on the Linux platform, and switching to a Mac would be like worshipping the devil, or Microsoft... I guess I'm there already.

Despite its problems, (a reviewer stated one of the cons as having "the potential to break some applications."), SP2 did have some interesting features, like the firewall and pop-up blocker. For the short time I had it on my machine, they were sort of neat.

If you want to take the plunge, check your PC and software manufacturers' websites for driver updates that need to be installed BEFORE you load SP2. Then pray. Pray like a man buried up to his neck in the hot desert sun trying to dig himself out with one chopstick.